Who is the new Marketing Coordinator for Slate Group?
- According to all the personality tests I’ve taken, I am borderline an extrovert, meaning for the most part I get my energy from being around people, but I’m also equally content on my own (most of the time).
- I love learning new things, whether that be in class or outside. I received my bachelor’s in Agricultural Communications and master’s in Mass Communications, which allowed me to have a well-rounded look at graphic design, photography, videography, news writing, marketing, and research.
- I have a horse named Charli. I raised and trained her so I’m pretty attached.
Charli on the left, Rider on the right. They get along most of the time…
- I have a dog named Rider. He’s the sweetest. I got him off Craigslist, and it was the best decision. He can now catch frisbees in the air and when I say “Bang” and point my finger at him, he will drop to the ground and play dead. He cannot catch food in his mouth to save his life though.
- I’m currently on a journey to teach myself to like vegetables.
- Vegetables I could eat at the beginning of this year: lettuce, carrots.
- Vegetables I can currently eat: Lettuce, carrots, spaghetti squash, zucchini, green beans, asparagus (only if it’s wrapped in bacon).
- I started off wanting to just be a graphic designer, but discovered I love the challenge of creating personal relationships between brands and consumers through marketing (so I went to grad school).
- Small talk is not something I necessarily enjoy, but teach me something and I’ll be your friend for life.
- If there is one thing I am not, its an auditory learner. If you tell me something, but my hands aren’t busy writing it or drawing it or replicating it somehow, then I probably will not understand.
- I love candid, in-the-moment photography.
A sample of some photos I have taken.
- I was the 2017-2018 Texas Tech Masked Rider, the official mascot of Texas Tech University. While I was finishing my master’s, I got to take care the most amazing horse, travel, make approximately 300 appearances, run the social media, and represent the best college ever (Wreck ‘Em!). Here’s a video of Fearless Champion and I at the football game in case you don’t know what the TTU Masked Rider does.
- I just got engaged and my new last name will be Martin in less than a year. So don’t get tooooo comfortable calling me Laurie Tolboom.
- I just scrolled through my phone trying to find a professional headshot, but all I have is pictures with dogs, horses, and other people.
Fearless and I making a touchdown run.
As I went through undergrad and grad school, the more I realized the importance of forming relationships past just producing a quality product. It also became apparent to me how rare it is for a company to place relationships over sales. When I interviewed here, it was one of the things I felt shortly after the interview began. I go into a little more detail in this blog, but basically I felt that Slate Group was striving to be everything I learned about. It made me excited, and I still am excited about figuring out how to represent that as best as I can.